LawTalk Blog

family law issues

My husband cheated on me. What are my options in Family Law?

Scenario: Conrad and Victoria have been married for 20 years. The first 19 years of their relationship were loving and caring. However, over the last 12 months their relationship...

Read more

family law and children's issues

Does the opinion of my child count when deciding which parent to live with?

The Family Law courts are concerned with the best interests of the child and when making a parenting order about a child the court must consider any views expressed by the child.

Read more

Administrative Appeals Tribunal

What if I am unhappy about a decision made by Centrelink or another Commonwealth Government Department?

The Administrative Appeals Tribunal which commenced operations on 1 July 1976 exercises powers in areas which include the general administrative, security appeals, taxation...

Read more

separation and divorce

We've recently separated and my ex wants to see bank statements

Barney and Betty were married for eight years. At the beginning of 2013 they separated on very acrimonious terms. Now they can barely speak to each other without a verbal argument...

Read more

matrimonial property issues

Family Law Property dispute - How can caveats be removed?

We had previously looked at the effect of lodging a Caveat over a property and in what circumstances a party to a marriage or de facto relationship can lodge a caveat. Now we look...

Read more

difference between a barrister and solicitor

What is the difference between a barrister and a solicitor?

We often hear various legal terms thrown around in conversations or from numerous media sources. Judiciary, adversary, jurisdiction, mens rea, etc. Such terms can be confusing if...

Read more

lodging a caveat

To Caveat or Not to Caveat?

When a relationship breaks down the parties often lose trust and faith in each other. If the property the parties lived in is owned in one of the parties names solely (Party A),...

Read more

Contact Us

For enquiries, please fill in the following contact form