LawTalk Blog

How can I see my children over Christmas?

feet, socks, family christmas

It is really common to see separated parents in dispute about the arrangements for children over Christmas; whether it be Christmas Day, school holiday time or taking the children away for the holidays.

For most people it is already too late to file an application in Court and have it heard before Christmas. That being said if there is a very urgent issue such as concerns for the safety of a child, with the correct legal assistance, that will be dealt with promptly.

If the matter is not considered urgent, parents in dispute about arrangements for the children are left with little opportunity to have the Court resolve their dispute.

What you should do over Christmas if there is a Family Court Order or Parenting Plan in place?

If there is a Family Court Order or Parenting Plan in place, you should follow the terms already agreed to. If there are issues or concerns about the plan or order, you should seek immediate legal advice.

What you should do over Christmas if there is no Christmas agreement in place?

Where there is no agreement about Christmas arrangements, it may be too late to engage in Community based Family Dispute Resolution (“FDR”) as this generally takes between 1-3 months to complete (depending on the provider). 

There are alternatives to Community based FDR which can be arranged privately. We have a number of private FDR providers who have availability to conduct the FDR before Christmas.

Working out arrangements for your children over Christmas

We can advise you on and help you to work out appropriate arrangements for your children in your particular circumstances including formulating a proposal for the Christmas period.

We can also assist by negotiating these arrangements on your behalf directly with the other party (even at short notice) and also arrange private FDR (either with or without a solicitor) at very short notice.

Should you still be having difficulty with arrangements for the children over Christmas, please contact us immediately on 08 8238 6666, email, or feel free to get in touch directly with today’s blog writer, Partner in Family Law and Certified Family Law Specialist, Ryan Thomas.

Ryan 009.jpg

Get in touch with today's blog writer:
Ryan Thomas

Partner in Family Law

Please note, this Blog is posted in Adelaide, South Australia by Andersons Solicitors. It relates to Australian Federal and South Australian legislation. Andersons Solicitors is a medium sized law firm servicing metropolitan Adelaide and regional South Australia across all areas of law for individuals and businesses.

Contact Us

For enquiries, please fill in the following contact form