As divorces become more common we find that our clients are increasingly researching the topic of divorce on the internet and in some cases people are attempting to obtain their own divorce without legal assistance.
In simple cases we can understand that people would like to save money by doing their own divorce using the forms that can be found online. However in our view it is always best to seek some legal advice before trying to handle this type of legal matter on your own.
There are a number of reasons that you may need a lawyer to assist you with your divorce:
- We can prepare and file the documentation so that you do not have to deal with your former partner in relation to applying for a divorce.
- We can advise you on the technical requirements that your application for divorce will need to meet in order to be accepted by the court.
- We can ensure that your former partner is properly served with your application so that the court can then make the divorce order.
- We can assist you in dealing with any dispute that may arise if your former partner decides to challenge your application for a divorce.
- We can attend court for you if the court requires parties to attend a hearing in relation to the divorce application.
- We can advise you on the associated legal issues that may be relevant to you when you are obtaining a divorce, such as property settlement, care arrangements for your children, and protecting your assets and estate.
- We can prepare documentation to properly record any agreement that you and your former partner make regarding property or children so that you are protected by having court orders in relation to those matters.
- We can assist when you do not know the location or contact details of your spouse.
- We can assist where the parties have lived separated but under the same roof.
- We can assist where one of the parties is overseas.
We understand that it can be tempting for people to deal with legal matters without proper advice in this age of technology where a lot of information is available on the internet. However we find that in the emotional context of a separation it can often be difficult for our clients to deal with their former partners directly. We also find that often a matter that appeared to be simple from the start can turn out to be far more complicated than was anticipated.
A good lawyer's aim is to make any legal process as easy for their clients as possible.